Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Yes, the Financial Times Rules

Thursday marks the 4-week anniversary of my hip surgery.  Now, I would love to tell you that I'm a pure iron man and the surgery had little to no effect on me.  In reality, I was out for the entire week afterwords and have been making a slow climb back to being fully functional. In fact, this has been the first week since I've been back when I've actually felt pretty good.

The reason I mention this is that I missed about 2-3 weeks of news.  I tried to keep up, but it was a losing game.  My concentration was weaker and my attention span was shorter.  So, there was a bit of a gap in my understanding about where the economy is.

That's where the Financial Times comes in.  Over the last few days I've used it as my official "catch-up"news source.  And it's been perfect.  The know how to cover the financial industry, giving you a world view with the right amount of news and opinion.  And they're great at finding the most important story of the day/week to help you understand what is really happening.

I made the decision about 6 months ago to drop the WSJ and go with FT as my paper of choice.  Simply put, the WSJ is losing the game post Murdoch.  They've just lost their edge and a fair amount of credibility.  But most importantly, they just don't realize there is a world out there that needs explaining.  Yes, the US is important.  But it's tied to Asia, Europe, and the Far East in a myriad number of ways that the paper just doesn't get.  The FT does -- and they explain it beautifully.

Anyway, the FT rocks, plain and simple.